We are looking for a motivated Science Manager (m/f/d)
AI methods, and especially machine learning (ML) with deep neural networks, have replaced traditional data analysis methods in recent years. The Technical University of Munich (TUM), together with the German Aerospace Center’s Remote Sensing Technology Institute, has created the biggest European research team on AI for Earth Observation (AI4EO) over the past few years.
Starting in 2022, we will begin establishing a national ML4Earth center of excellence with high visibility. It will conduct own research at the highest international level by tackling fundamental methodical challenges in AI4EO and their application to the European mission of a Digital Twin Earth. ML research directions will include physics-aware machine learning, reasoning, uncertainty estimation, Explainable AI, Sparse Labels and Transferability, as well as Deep Learning for Complex Structures. These novel methods will be applied to practical tasks such as predicting European water storage, quantifying permafrost thawing, sea level budget, climate and earth system modeling, soil parameter mapping, and multi-sensor segmentation, together with our partners at renowned international and national institutes such as Bonn University, Alfred Wegener Institute, University of Bristol, Leipzig University, and the German Aerospace Center.
Another important goal of the project is international community building within the AI4EO domain. Aspects of this include the creation of benchmark data sets for a wide range of application scenarios, as well as offering educational resources for interested scientists and expert workshops. Our aim is the democratization of AI4EO to enable more researchers to exploit Copernicus and other EO data sources. To establish this new center, we are currently offering the position as Science Manager.
The Lab will be physically located at the new campus of TUM in Taufkirchen/Ottobrunn, where TUM currently has established its new Department of Aerospace and Geodesy as part of the Bavarian space initiative. Besides TUM, the area also hosts the University of Federal Armed Forces, Munich Aerospace, and several EO and space industry partners (e.g. Airbus, Siemens, and IABG), thus providing the ideal location for knowledge and technology transfer.
The highly visible position of the Lab with its internationality and the close connection to other Institutes requires a respective Management. You will be in close contact with our international Guest Professors and our motivated Young Fellows, as well as with colleagues from the partners form the German Aerospace Center and TUM.
Through this advertised position the Future lab is expected to be supported mainly through appropriate science management, as well as to seek new collaborations. You will also initiate, implement and manage new scientific projects in the field of artificial intelligence for earth observation.
Your main tasks among others will be budget overview of the project, personal management, reporting and outreach via website maintainance and Twitter.
In addition, independent, scientific research on the topic of ML4Earth will be supported.
- PhD in computer science, geoinformatics, data science, business administration, or comparable field of study
- professional experience in Earth observation and/or Data Science
- background of general AI Methods, ideally applied on EO data
- very good knowledge in the area of scientific project application as well as the German research landscape
- good experience in the field of scientific communication (‘Science Communication’)
- experience in project management
- fluent command of the German language and very good knowledge of the English language, both written and spoken
- excellent communication and cooperation skills, ability to interact with scientists at different levels
- fluent in spoken and written German language
- very good knowledge of spoken and written English language
- ability to work highly motivated and independently in a team
OTHER WELCOMED QUALIFICATIONS
- good graphic design skills with tools such powerpoint and photoshop is welcomed
- experience in website design
Payment will be based on the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service of the Länder (TV-L, up to E14 level). TUM strives to raise the proportion of women in its workforce and explicitly encourages applications from qualified women. Applications from disabled persons with essentially the same qualifications will be given preference.
Kontakt: Interested candidate please send your motivation letter, CV, and supporting materials with the key word Science Manager to: email@example.com
For further Questions on this position, please contact Dr. Anna Kruspe: firstname.lastname@example.org